Saturday, June 02, 2007

Say that again?

I consider myself fairly competent at the English language. I was an English teacher, for Heaven's sake! But my spelling/pronounciation rules have gone out the window since I've been here!
The following are street names or cities, etc., in and around Houston and San Antonio and how they are pronounced here in the Great Lonestar State:

Kuykendahl: pronounced KIRK in doll
Huebner: HEEB ner
Cibolo: SIB uh low (We thought it was si BO low)
Bexar: bear (just ignore the x, they say)
Gruene: green
Boerne: BURN ee
Tamina: TAM in uh (again, we thought it was tuh MEEN uh)

There are more, I just can't think of them at the moment. I'm noticing most of these have emphasis on the first syllable. I'll have to remember that as I'm trying to figure more things out!

1 comment:

  1. So they speak a foreign language in Texas. More than just Ya'll and Fixin'...

    We have a family in our ward named Kuykendall. There's no Kirk in their name.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swag Bucks